Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Thomas Merton's Plaque Missing

Several years ago I wrote a story about visiting Marconi's Statue on Cape Cod, the place where he first sent a radio signal across the Atlantic.As fate would have it, shortly after my article, someone stole Marconi's head (here pictured):

WELL AS FATE WOULD HAVE I Have recently received worse news from my Merton Scholar Friend, Kristen Wisniewski, who was recently in Louisville, Kentucky, on her way to the Abbey of Gethsemani, and she wrote this:

"I got to Louisville early this morning so that I could hang out a
little downtown. This really is an awesome city.Small-but really has
something to offer. In my travels I came over to 4th and Walnut (Muhammad Ali)and low and behold--they took down the plaque that was there with Merton's revelation on it! It used to be a closed off area where people could walk and enjoy the plaza.Now it's an open street with all sorts of craziness...so the sign is gone. I looked around on every corner of 4th and couldn't find it anywhere.I am so disappointed! Guess I am glad that I got down here when it was the OLD way!"

Who stole Merton's Revelation?

2 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger + Alan said...

Well that sucks. Gone before I ever got a chance to lay eyes on it. I wonder if it was the city. Perhaps they're planning something else - wishful thinking. Unfortunate.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger + Alan said...

Hope the blog is "fixed" Dan. Did you check your publish settings? Maybe something is askew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home