Friday, August 25, 2006

THE PHILLIPS CASTLE

"To arrive where you are, to get from where you are not, You must go by
a way wherein there is no ecstasy."(T.S. Eliot)


Arrival AT LAST! To fight terrorism we arrived at the airport at LAX 3 hours early (really we were tired of being lost and LA traffic and wanted to get home).

Passengers lined the wall, then the bad news: Flight 2658 is 10 minutes late, the 25 minustes, then an hour, and finally 2 hours later before we left. At 3 pm I ate a Big Mac, my last meal. The cross country snack on Southwest was a few cookies and that was it. Delayed plane was because of 2 inch rain in Phoenix, where it rains on average 7 inches a year.

Tired is not the sum of it. By now Janet was really feeling bad and no food was available. At the airport everything was closed, so we just had to go to the Phillips Castle for snacking.

To be honest, the covert was bare. The result was two pieces of bread then mayonaise and slices of onion. Rather tasty : an onion sandwich. Our pastor Charles Carter once told of visiting the great Baptist preacher, Robert G. Lee, to see if he could duplicate his preaching technique. At 3 am he heard Lee eating. He went and found him eating an onion sandwich. He said, "I can't preach like R.G. Lee but I sure smell like him."

Janet said, "I am going to make you sleep with the dog !!

Well for DESERT I had 2 olives, a glass of meal, and topped it off with
candied almonds. "It is tradition to serve Jordan Almonds as a symbol of happiness, prosperity, health, fertility and longevity."

Have you ever had a great feast like that?

Bedtime---------

7 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JOKE.......HEARING AND SMELLING.... Little five year old Mary got a toy piano and her favorite perfume for a gift. Whenever company came, Mary would pester the company and keep talking about her piano and her perfume. Finally, mother said "Today, the Jones are coming and I forbid you to say anything about the piano and the new perfume." Mary was sad. Need to figure someway out. Aha! When the company came, Mary loudly proclaimed over and over: "If you hear anything and smell anything it's probably ME."

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ONIONS!!!!!......Could be worse...could be garlic!

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COMING HOME........I had been away for 14 months...glad to be finally home. Two things seemed different....the house had become so much smaller than I remembered...and my parents had grown so very much wiser! How was that?????? Anyone else with the same experience?

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PREACHING........I was invited to Sunday preach at a Church other than my own denomination...I was honored. As I began I told the congreagation: "I am glad to be here with you but I am not a PREACHER, I am a story teller. You know, I am Irish and they love to tell lots of stories...some of them TRUE..."

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ON HOME COMING......If you need a new Communion Hymn, take the melody of Dvorak "Going Home" and sing: "Bread of life, Cup of wine, Now He gives to us...Shepherd good, Jesus Lord, Now we come to Thee. Keep us Lord, At Your side. Always near to You." Works..beautiful hymn for Communion Sunday. Please write if you have tried it...

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT FEAST......Soup and Trappist homemade bread at Gethsemani......Or brown bread from Ireland with marmalade and Irish butter.........or, if you a little kid in the thirty's, some raw carrots and apples to chew on while listening to the radio (Remember how we stared at the radio like there was an image there?)........My mom's chocolate cake (Everyone wondered how she made it.) Before she died,she told me that it was the receipe on the cocoa box...no big secret to take to her grave!......crusty bread and lemon-rice soup in Greektown....could go on and on.....

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO ARRIVE(Eliot)........Must be a beautiful poem hidden in there somehow.........Lord, someday I shall come to where You dwell... And of Your goodness tell...I shall delight in Your Presence...But, even now, I am with You... And Father and Spirit too...And full of delight to be with You...What love that prompts You...What thanks I shall bring on that day... For leading me all the way...Blessed Lord, most adored...My God and all...I hear Your loving call. Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home