Saturday, January 01, 2005

Thomas Merton and the NEW YEAR - January 1, 1960

"A quiet day, a quiet afternoon. Woods. Light in the sky, guns banging in the bottoms. Happy New Year ! Once more I feel like a member of this community. All the fuss of New Year's Day creates an illusion that we are getting somewhere. Yet it is true -- it reminds everyone to take stock of his contributions to, and place in, the community. And I am glad to be still with the novices for what is already my fifth year!

Hard to believe it, time has gone so fast."

(A Search in Solitude - The Journals of Thomas Merton Volume 3, 1952-1960, page 365-366. Thomas Merton wrote this in his journal on January 1, 1960.

What are my reflections as I look back and look ahead on this New Year's Day?

This is from Wayne Burns and his Merton Quote of the Day. Thanks Wayne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home