Monday, April 11, 2005

A Little Help - PLEASE !!!!

I am sure I don't have the right attitude toward this, but it is amazing how many students write to me for help who are too lazy to look things up for themselves. Oh well !!! Hope this gentleman gets it together ---

Dear Brother Dan,

My name is ------, and I found your email on your Thomas Merton website. I was assigned a History paper for any topic I chose. I wanted to write about how Catholicism has inspired modern American History, and vice versa. I gave this idea to my professor, and automatically he hollers out Thomas Merton. I've researched some of his books, and sorrowfully time did not allow for detailed reading of everything.

I was wondering if you had any specific books that would be useful for my research. He told me not to give just a bio of Thomas Merton, which I have enough to do, but talk about how his writings and how he is still inspiring monks today. I can tell about how his name is flown about the internet that his works are still inspiring today, but I can't enter that as evidence in the paper. I need a source that can tell me facts and that sort to put in the paper. He also requires that I have a
scholarly journal, and i'm having a really hard time finding what would be called a scholarly journal that deals with the life and inspiration of Thomas Merton. I was wondering if maybe you know a Catholic magazine that could beconsidered "scholarly" that has dealt with the subject of Merton's writings. Thank you so much for taking time to read this, and any help would be greatly appreciated. God Bless

-------

Anybody got any advice for my fried????

2 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the Merton Journal by the Thomas Merton Society. The latest edition of the Tmomas Merton Society of Great Britain and Ireland had a fantastic article by Philip Sheldrake on Merton's contribution to spirituality.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Jenell Williams Paris said...

I'd say,
"Feel free to use information and links from my website - that's why they're there. You might also want to try googling "Thomas Merton" or "Thomas Merton Society" or "Abbey of Gethsemane", and you'll find more good scholarly resources that way."

The student's lack of planning doesn't obligate you to help more than you otherwise would! Please role model good research skills, and encourage against shortcuts!!
A plea from a professor who hears stories like this all the time!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home