Thursday, November 10, 2005

Tucumcari Revisited

Several years ago I wrote an article about what a joy it was to visit Tucumcari, New Mexico. I have received many favorite comments over the years. This is an email I received lately which gives a different view. That you might enjoy reading this:

Every year since 1995 my wife and I while on vacation from Virginia to destinations West stopped in Tucumcari. The small town, clean motels and quaint restaurants seemed quite charming. 

So then in 2004 when wanting to move away from Northern Virginia after retiring we decided to settle in Tucumcari.  At first it seemed as though we'd made a good choice but after a year and having dealt with the authorities and town management as soon as the opportunity presents itself we'll probably be moving. After about a month one realizes that this town is dying. It appears as though those in charge either want it that way or are just ignorant of the fact. 

About a third of the city lots that once held beautiful homes are now run down shacks on vacant property.  We've seen three prominent businesses close since we've been here.  I wont go into my legal run ins with the city concerning property that I bought, upgraded and tried to grow a garden on.  I've been pulled over by the law more than once just about seat belts.  The first time for having the shoulder strap under my arm.  Then again recently for not having it on tight enough. 

I guess being from Virginia and not having totally blacked out windows on my car (like most here) I'm an easy target. (I might note that I've never been in the back seat of a police car or had a run in with the law in my nearly 50 years)  My advice to anyone reading this is to avoid Tucumcari NM. Going east Amarillo TX is only 100 more miles.  Going west Santa Rosa is only 60 miles.  I'm just trying to pass on the absolute truth to anyone who might be passing through this area.  Being just an ignorant Easterner who made a mistake.

COMMENTS?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home