Monday, February 06, 2006

Thoughts on Super Bowl XL Sunday

"My Lord and my God, take from me everything
that distances me from you.
My Lord and my God, give me everything that
brings me closer to you.
My Lord and my God, detach me from myself to
give my all to you."
--St. Nicholas of Flue

Let nothing trouble you/Let nothing frighten you
Everything passes/ God never changes
Patience/ Obtains all
Whoever has God/Wants for nothing
God alone is enough."
--St. Teresa of Avila

From To The Abbey

----------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts on Super Bowl Sunday

"Every life needs points along the way that enable us to rise above the petty daily problems, the overwhelming tragedies of our lives and begin again." (Joan Chittister)

As I read this I thought of the "everyday meagerness" of our lives. Sure, our days are full, but with real meaning?--Our habits are the same each day. Eating, sleeping, carrying out the garbage, bath, shaving, fixing our hair. "Making our rounds" so to speak.

Interesting Colomba banned women from Iona. "Where there is a cow there is a woman. Where there is a woman there is mischief," he said.

The real monastic looks for holiness in the here and now, walks through life with a barefooted soul, alart, aware, grateful, and only partially at home,

Boredom can often be turned to listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home