Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Larry Munson

I was so exhausted emotionally when I got home from work I couldn't eat.
I finally ate a half bowl of grape nut flakes and milk. For supper Janet
made some tomato soup and a toasted cheese sandwich.

I can't say that the night has been without some humour. Janet threw a
tennis ball that hit Cuddles in the head and knocked him for a loop.
Hope she doesn't throw the ball at me.

A REAL TREAT

While channel surfing I found Hope Hines on Channel 50 interviewing
Larry Munson, the University of Georgia football announcer. What a
delight, Munson at 80 plus years telling his stories. I remember having
my picture made with Herschell Hobbs, the great Southern Baptist
preacher who was in his eighties and him saying, "When you are 80 you
can lie all you want because usually there is no one alive who can tell
if you are telling the truth or not." How true !

I remember Munson as the radio voice of the Vanderbilt Commodore
Football team in the early 1960s and then he moved to Atlanta and became
one of the first Atlanta Braves baseball announcers when the Milwaukee
Braves moved to Atlanta. Reminded me of Tony Clonninger, a Brave
pitcher, who once hit 2 grandslam home runs in a game. Or as Dizzy Dean
use to say to Pee Wee Reese on tv ball games, "Pee Wee those pitchers
can really hit."

Maybe tomorrow we will all hit a home run. Play ball!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home