Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Day - Reflecting

Details: Sunny. 49 degrees.

The warmth of a morning fire is a praying experience. An airplane flies north. I am outside in the shade reading Pennington's Lectio Divina and drinking McDonald's coffee.

I find myself in a mood to go somewhere -- like a vacation. The bell rings 8 times in the distance. I hear planes, a distant interstate, the train whistle's howl and dream of reliving Big Sur.

I am reminded of Tres Dias. I struggled out of bed, got my Bible, found some coffee and sat at a table in the cafeteria alone. First, though, I always went by the fire for warmth and perhaps a quietly spoken hello.

When the smokers return I go to my cell and read Merton's poem, "The Trappist Abbey: Matins," and wake in the cloisters of the lonely night.

On my knees I pray realizing this day is a gift. A night of refreshing sleep, a day of opportunity. "Come to me and I will refresh you," says the lectio.

"Sitting with the word of God, listening, is a time of communion even if the Lord seems absent." (Pennington). I have given you "authority" says the master. To heal the sick, to be thankful for the day. Welcome!

I walk the halls of sickness beside the offices where the orders are given. I pray. Waiting for the elevator a lady asked me (because my hands were folded), "were you praying." "Yes, I pray someone times for those who come down these halls," I say.

I have left my glasses in the cell. I will return to find them.Remember Dan, "The singing bells wake the sun."

We have found, we have found,
the places where the rain is deep and silent.
We have found the fountains of the spring,
where the Lord emerges refreshed every morning!
He has laid His hand upon our shoulders,
and our heart, like a bird, has spoken! (Merton)

INTERCESSIONS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home