Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas - First Corinithians 13

FIRST CORINTHIANS 13 (paraphrased)
 
CHRISTMAS VERSION
 
If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows,
Strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls,
But do not show love to my family,
I'm just another decorator.
If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies,
Preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at
mealtime,
But do not show love to my family,
I'm just another cook.
If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home
And give all that I have to charity,
But do not show love to my family,
It profits me nothing.
If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and
crocheted snowflakes,
Attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata,
But do not focus on Christ,
I have missed the point.
Love stops the cooking to hug the child.
Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.
Love is kind, though harried and tired.
Love doesn't envy another's home
that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.
Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way,
but is thankful they are there to be in the way.
Love doesn't give only to those who are able to give in return,
but rejoices in giving to those who can't.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures
all things.
Love never fails.
Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will
rust....
But giving the gift of love will endure.
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.
 
 
BRO. DAN AND THANKS ROGER WILLIAMS
 
 

8 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. With the economy in such a mess, there is a need everyday. Don't be overburdened, give, go with out for a day and feel what tens of thousands of families are feeling this year with no money and most important: NO Hope.
Peace in Christ

Gerry in MI

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful.....What a nice way to express a great lesson on His birth. db

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Message on an envelope.......On a Christmas card envelope I found...on the front...a stable with a star above (hand drawn by the sender)...on the reverse the words: HE CAME IN POVERTY TO ENRICH US! db

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love......Heard this recently: When a person dies, the shell is buried and the soul goes to eternity as God has taught. The love that that person has given or received in life cannot die...it becomes a fountain that flows blessings to those in need...to the loved ones, to the poor, to those unknown to the deceased but who had similar problems (Alcoholics send blessings to others in various chains for example) etc. DB

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love does not count the cost.....The Saviour is the very best example of this principle. db

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord, Your Love......TM...."Remembering my sins I will love you in spite of what I have been...and the love in me is precious because it is YOURS rather than my own...It is Your love that makes me Your son!" db

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust Increase.....Brother Lawrence: "God, so good and faithful a Friend in this world and in the next. This trust in you, I would ask that God increase it more and more." Lord, let the seed of my trust grow and grow. This I ask because of Thy love and goodness. Amen. db

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Need of Care.......Psalm 55:3 "O God, have mercy for there are many who make war against me...they trod on me again and again."
So in need, O Lord,
Come to my aid. Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home