Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas 2009

Why is it that Christmas arrives so soon? It just seems to get faster every year, doesn't it. Only 3 more days. On the front page of newspapers it use to say, "ONLY 3 MORE DAYS TO CHRISTMAS." It doesn't say that anymore. Guess it is to costly to add another sentence.

Yes, I am thankful for Christmas. A couple of memorable ones: when I was 6 I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days with hypogycemia. Then there was a snow in 1986 that was memorable.

The first Christmas I really remember was when I got a RCA 5 tube radio and a pocket Bible. 1954 it was. Back then TV was not necessarily a happening. I can remember in 1951 watching a test pattern on the TV and it only came on at 4 pm in the afternoon and closed down by 10 at night. 100+ channels? You must be kidding.

This year was important. We went to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. That was a memorable experience I will never forget for several reasons.

And having a grandson, Jack, has been fun. He likes to come to Grammy and Poppa's house and play with the animals ("fun animals").

And there are some tough times for some of my friends which breaks my heart but I don't know what to do about it. In some areas there are no jobs and no room in the inn. I still remember an anonymous check for $1000 which came one year when I had been unemployed for 9 months. It was so meaningful at that time. So, how do we bring hope to the hopeless? How can we really experience the joy of the Christmas time?

On my desk is a bell my mother brought got from Jerusalem. I ring it in memory of her. She died ten years ago tomorrow. That is something one does not forget. But there is thankfulness to for the life I have because of her and my Dad. That thanksgiving for what they gave me means more than anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home