Monday, November 21, 2005

THANKSGIVING 2005

THINGS TO BE THANKFUL

My family is from near Atlanta, Georgia, a place called Flippen, named after the mail man on the daily train going from Atlanta to Macon. One of the most meaningful things in my life has been sharing the Thanksgiving Column of Furman Bisher, the sports columist for the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Mr. Bisher is in his 80s now, but each year the Thanksgiving paper has the things for which he is thankful. The first thing I do on thanksgiving morning is to go on the internet -- now that we don't go to Georgia anymore on thanksgiving-- and go to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution Website (www.ajc.com) and look for Furman Bisher's column. (It is usually in the Sports Section). With all due respects and thanks to him, this is what I am thankful for this year. And, if WE ARE LUCKY, maybe I can share his thanksgiving column later.

(IMPORTANT NOTE: Years ago I began sharing this column with my daughter every thanksgiving. Now, each thanksgiving, she does her own and shares with me. WHY NOT TRY IT WITH YOUR FAMILY ??????)

**For Furman Bisher, columist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, who taught me to be thankful with his yearly Thanksgiving Column.

For Parents who, though both are deceased, loved me and believed in me.

For my redneck ham buddies who keep me entertained with strange stories,laughter, kidding, great meals and stories, and this with everyone always sober.

For a subversive bunch of women hidden in the basement of Parkview who entertain me with originality, great home made banana pudding, and stories that are unbelievable !!! (Yes - remember the Food Lion in Livingston, TN.)

For Inky, the 14 pound Maine Coon black cat, who came to live with us and keeps us entertained !!

For my brother Ronald,who is a constant reminder of the joyful times we had growing up. And for Jimmi, who keeps him straight.

For a family that loves to laugh, tell stories, and cares for each other.

For the 91 free Thomas Merton books given to me from a lady in Las Vegas, Nevada.

For the Teddy Bear Lady who always reminds me of excellence in the workplace.

I am thankful that Breck married Jen.

For my Sunday School class that continues to be supportive in all of our trials and tribulations.

For the hospice at the VA Hospital in Murfreesboro that kept my father-in-law, Clyde Honeycutt, comfortable until he died.

For G, whose prayers and forgiveness are always an example to me of what a Christian should be.

For RC who walks the cloister walk with me.

For working for Larry Kloess and the example of excellence he set for us all. We will miss him.

For my boss who helps me struggle for direction.

For the warm glow of a fireplace.

For Sam Dillard. What a blessing he has been to me through the years. I will miss him after he retires - and his peanuts.

For chicken livers and oysters and tobasco sauce.

For a car that starts on cold mornings.

For the hospital employees who invite me for a free meals in their departments. (Yes, I say the blessing, then get a free meal. What a deal!!)

For the smiles that pass me every day.

For the many blessings that touch my life daily.

I am thankful for journeys that challenge me with new dawnings and awakenings.

I am thankful for a place to work and share my faith with others.

For skilled surgeons, nurses, and others who care for patients daily.

For Melinda, my lovely daughter, and her husband, Mike, both of whom make us happy each day.

For monasteries, and monks, and statues, and rain, and snow, and warmth.

And for Janet, who makes my life worth living.

And, I am thankful for you -my friends-that stand by me and give me joy each day.

And for God, who has given me purpose and joy.

AMEN !! AMEN !!


The Thanksgiving Chronicles of Dan Kenneth Phillips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home