Thursday, April 06, 2006

Memorable Things

Twenty Memoriable Things I have done in my life


1. Worked for a circus one day.

2. Got married.

3. I was an engineer on the rocket that sent a man to the moon

4. The first funeral I preached was for a man who committed suicide

5. I was in the stadium the night Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.

6. Went on cruises to Greece, Alaska, and the Caribbean

7. I played a trumpet solo in my senior year in high school.

8. I paid my way through college by working for the Alabama Power Company in the summers.

9. I found Robert Frost grave by accident.

10. I bought my wives engagement ring from money I had saved from my paper route.

11. My first car was a rambler. The wheel fell off on the way home.

12. I have talked to people in over 120 countries on my ham radio.

13. I once preached a sermon titled, “Ships that Never Sailed.”

14. I love jazz music. Hearing Mel Torme live was memorable.

15. Ridgecrest North Carolina and Glorietta New Mexico were my favorite places to go in the summer.

16. My favorite restaurants are Patti’s in Grand Junction, Ky. and High Falls Restaurant in High Falls, Georgia.

17. Getting locked out of my room in a monastery when I had very few clothes on is something I shall never forget. Talk about embarrassment.

18. Remembering people who have touched my life: Dr. Leo Garrett, Dr. Paul Turner, Glenn Hinson, Merton, Father Carlos, Wayne Burns, and many others.

19. Watching a sunrise with prayers and help from God.

20. Days walking the sacred hallways of A hospital daily.


WHAT ARE YOUR MOST MEMORABLE THINGS?

1 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWENTY THINGS...Good and Special......Met my wife at work, great pal these 46 years...Birth of four sons, proud of each one...Visit to Gethsemani in the days when Merton was living there...Present at Babe Ruth's funeral in St Patrick's NYC(shocked by the behaviour of some of the people.. they thought they were in a stadium)...Flew over the Continental divide...Saw and prayed at the 9/11 site...Trip to Ireland, 'a little bit of Heaven fell from out the sky'...Met and talked to Roger Williams...Saw Loretta Young at Mass...Saw Andrew Greely jogging in Chicago...Spoke with Fr Solanus, saintly Capuchin friar...Assisted at benediction, Mother Cabrini's Shrine in NYC...Visited Hoover Dam and Lake Mead...Went to Baseball Hall of Fame...Great trip in the Finger Lakes region...Many visits to Graymoor, home of the Atonement Friars and Church Unity Octave..Was honored as a volunteer for Gleaners Food Bank...Saw Bishop Sheen in person...Saw Jerry Lewis and Sean Connery in a theater in NYC (not as performers)...Wonderful visit to Washington DC and Hyde Park NY and Boston MA. whew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home