Tuesday, January 30, 2007

HOME BEFORE DARK

Billie Pate is a friend of mine. We worked together for many years. She was a poet, a person who understood when people had needs and an excellent writer.

She has written a new book titled, PLEASE TAKE ME HOME BEFORE DEATH,One Family’s Journey with Alzheimer’s Disease, published by Hillsboro Press in Franklin, TN. It is an excellent book covering all of the aspects of this difficult disease. Besides guidelines to help us get through this time with our families she has poems she has written that begin each chapter. The poems are worth the price of the book. Here is one of these fabulous poems:

THE LONGEST DAY

When I forget,
Please remember who I am:
My love for kittens and birds and flowers,
And my joy in making dresses for
A child living in a colorless world.

When I forget
Please Remember
How much I love the changing of the seasons
And holidays—Especially the wonder
Of Christmas,

When I forget,
Please remember
How proud I am of all my children,
And my comfort in going to church.

When I forget,
Please remember who I am,
And help me find and be myself,
As long as part of me remains.


LESSON FOR TODAY: BE SURE TO SEE THE NEEDS IN
OTHERS EYES !


NOTE: YOU CAN PURCHASE THE BOOK THROUGH AMAZON. HOME BEFORE DARK.

Bro. Dan

4 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

........to be of supportive help to those who suffer... a very touching poem...an injunction to look around and assist those who are getting lost...pray often 'Lord, bless those who need rescue and bless the rescuers as well....'

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....you remind me...I had a relative with Alzheimer's..he spent his last days trying to do all he could for those afflicted and the care-givers...sometimes, he would be so fatigued that he would go into a 'frozen' state...his wife called it 'shutdown'....they both said that when things get real bad,go to them and touch their arm, hug them, kiss them on the cheek for as they said in all their talks: LOVE IS THE LAST THING TO GO.....

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

....for the Alzheimer patient:
...here...
with you
yet somehow alone.
...love me
for it is lonely in this place.
love me...
you are my life line.
...I am trying so hard
but I am losing.
...love is the last thing to cling to...so love me,please.
what else do I have here below?
love...what else heals the hurts?
...what else fills the empty places? Dedicated to all Care Givers..God bless you.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger dwg said...

wow, good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home