Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bits and Pieces - A Summary of the Month of July

BITS AND PIECES – JULY 2007
Every month, at the end of the month, I review my journal for significant "happenings" and events and meaningful thoughts worth remembering.

I have read several books on London. Going there opens doors, or questions, that have much more understanding in my life now that I have returned from London.

QUESTIONS OR THOUGHTS TO DEAL WITH IN JULY 2007—

What is God doing in my life? (Always a worthy question)

A desire for a purity of vision !

Places where prayer is valid: (from a T.S. Eliot poem)
1. St. Paul’s Cathedral
2. Westminister Abbey
3. Our chapel
4. Abbey of Gethsemani
5. Hospital rooms and hallways

We can get our priorities out of order. Dan, what are your priorities?

Where should we pray?
1. The beach (Acts 21:5)
2. In a closet

Make room for us in your hearts.
1. Consider us
2. Remember us
3. Pray for us

A sacrament is something visible and physical whereby the Spirit becomes present to us. It is a means of grace.

Our lives need reformatted. Transformed.

God has a way of getting our attention.

Pay attention to our relationship to God.

Do we realize our own need for God?

We can measure our faith by the amount of anxiety in our lives.

Learn to “make the best of a bad situation.”

The Lord knows the way of the righteous: through darkness, light, fear in morning, at night, and during the storm.

Sometimes all we can do is read bits and pieces of scripture. Tiny, tiny bits.

Look for kindnesses that tenderize the heart.

“And when he prayed to Him, the Lord was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea.”

“Even in times of discouragement and despair, God is working out his plan.”

We need to prepare for a special guest.

Our whole world can shift as a result of a hurtful word. Be careful how I speak.

All depression is a result of loss.

And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.

It is not by our own strength and power but God’s Spirit that we accomplish anything.

We need to share with others what God has done in our lives the last month.

Our prayer should be heartfelt and to the point. !!!!(My greatest bit of wisdom this month)

How do I/we go from working without stopping to praying without ceasing?”

Pray, the plan.

Only in Silence do we have the opportunity to hear.

Silence preceeds God using us.

EVENING PRAYERS: (Vespers)- A time of examination, repentence, and thanksgiving.

A quote from Annie Dillard. “Do not say please but THANK YOU!”

My friend Gary Brown’s advice. I do not ask anything of God, I just say Thank you and Bless.


SUMMARY

Well that is where I am at the end of July and August will be greeted by the arrival of Baby Jack, our first grandchild. Only 20 more days to go and I promise not to show pictures (unless of course you ask). With prayers and thanksgiving !!

Bro. Dan

1 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jan said...

I'm impressed that you review each month. Faithfulness. Reminds me of Trevor Hudson writing about how reflection is needed for any experience, esp. a "God experience" OR the experience is "lost."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home