Monday, August 03, 2009

Desert

One of my favorite books is Letters from the Desert by Carlo Carretto.

He says, "God's call is mysterious; it comes in the darkness of faith. It is so fine, so subtle, that it is only with the deepest silence within us that we can hear it."

The silence
Make believe space
Between the sharpest notes
Jazz like
A song, maybe heard,
Like a bird whispering
Before the dawn.

Be stil
Know
Words do not
Have to be spoken
To be heard.
Listen-- silently
Do you hear?

Maybe its a waste, these words layed out in a jazz world. "How long has this been going on?," says 89.5 FM. I once thought of writing a travel book and sharing the songs the jazz stations played in cities I visited. Twenty years have passed and no words have been written. But thanks anyway WMOT, KCSM, Dinner Jazz Excursion, KYOT, KJAZ, and those other stations that spoke in the darkness between the silences.

Thanks Raymond Anderson for the music!

1 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Alan Fadling said...

Dan...I read this one a while back as well and really enjoyed it. It got me exploring the life of Charles de Foucault. What a remarkable movement he started.

I'm wondering whether in your reading of Thomas Merton whether you may have developed any kind of working bibliography. He is one of those authors I've been collecting over time (like Eugene Peterson, Henri Nouwen and Elton Trueblood). Just wondering if you had any sort of book list that might help my own exploration of Merton.

Thanks,

Alan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home