Wednesday, September 15, 2004

IVAN THE TERRIBLE --STORMS OF LIFE

The last time I was at Gulf Shores, Alabama, a sudden storm arose. From my motel window, I saw a boat crash against the shore. In spite of the efforts of the captain, the boat became immobile and impossible to move.

I watched as the captain left his boat and went into a nearby restaurant to wait until the storm was over. Then, he called for help and a large derrick truck came, pulled his boat ashore, and drove off with the boat to another location where it could be repaired and returned to the sea.

Someone once said, “There is no chance thing through which God cannot speak.” For most of us, there have been “unexpected events” which have touched our lives and, like the sea captain, left us like a broken boat stuck in the sand. What do you do when such events happen to you?

Looking back over my life, I am surprised to see how many times “the unexpected crash” was followed by an “unexpected spiritual experience.” Somehow in the storm the Lord did speak. But, He did not speak until first I got myself out of the picture and began focusing on Him.

As we approach a continuing storm season, let us not forget the times in the past when God has touched our lives. We can become so busy that we miss His presence because of the hyperactivity of our lives. A good question to ponder is, “What is God doing in your life.” When you find the answer, why not share it with a friend. It might be a blessing to their lives, too.

P.S. ---At the hospital chapel service today I will be speaking on “SHIPS THAT NEVER SAILED.”

1 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Christy Amular said...

Saw the news on BBC. Stay safe from Ivan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home