Wednesday, December 07, 2011

JOYFUL

It is that time of year when little things creep into our lives. Some memories with a touch of sadness that remind one of past years. (For instance I just discovered I played taps for 9 coal miners who died in Robbins, TN in 1959. Funny what things you can find on the web.) Or other memories with thanksgiving, publishing my first book this year, a new grandchild Luke Daniel, a trip to the beach, a look at the new Shoney's menu and a free piece of cake.

But if we look and listen there are other tiny examples. Being invited to a Christmas party at the hospital where I formerly worked today, facebook-- sure I get tired of to many ramblings from some people--but it is still a way of keeping up with what is happening. An e-mail from a friend in Wisconsin who is 80 plus years and whose mind and thoughtfulness always challenges me.

And my journal always is an intriguing adventure with words and thoughts such as, what really pleases me, what am I grateful for, (really, a warm puppy in my lap), have I learned to live with my limitations? One thought stood out this week. I was reviewing the things I said when we went to Jerusalem and after 8 full days of visiting holy places I wrote in my journal, "I don't feel like going to any more holy sites." So enough of a good thing can be a bad thing, right? What words rule over me? What captures my attention too much?

My pastor Mark Marshall taught us about lost sheep and lost coins this past Sunday from Luke 15. Pondering his words JOY stood out. When the shepherd found the lost sheep there was joy. When the lady found the lost coin she was JOYFUL and shared with her neighbors. What about Joy?

What brings Joy to God? What brings joy to my life? Sometimes we fumble the ball, our emotions go viral, anger overcomes us. But, we must remember that God forgives and continues to pursue us like the lost sheep. Joy is an attitude, an opportunity.

What brings joy to you this season? Better yet, how can you bring joy to others?

http://amzn.to/qQz6Ng


3 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Wayne Causey said...

i love reading your thoughts here, Dan. Keep it up brother!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger grl said...

One of the many things that bring joy to me is memory of our working together for BTN. We gave it a good shot, but it had not been planned out adequately, and was ahead of (or behind)its time.

Peace,
Gomer

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great

 

Post a Comment

<< Home