Monday, September 10, 2007

Frank Varallo Jr.

On What is Important in Life

Frank Varallo Jr. passed away yesterday. He was 93 years young. During the past few years he has been a patient at our hospital. He was also known for running Varallo’s Restaurant which was located on Church Street. At one time it was the oldest restaurant in town.

I use to eat there often. I worked 2 blocks from there and would go and eat the meat and three or the famous three way, consisting of chilli, tamale, and spaghetti. It was always such a pleasant place. Lots of laughter and smiles and welcomes, like we were the greatest customers they had ever had.

Vic Varallo, his nephew took the money at the cash register and Frank and his wife Eva keep the food moving. And there were politicians galore, non-famous persons, and it was a place many of us went on special occasions of celebration.

Several years ago he was in the hospital for heart surgery (he was 86). He had just closed the restaurant and I told him how much I enjoyed eating there. He said, “Well, if I hadn’t closed the restaurant I don’t think I would be here now.”

He and Eva celebrated there 70th wedding anniversary this weekend, one day before he died. On a recent wedding anniversary Eva wrote to Frank, "I want to tell you again how much I love you and cherish each day we have shared both good and bad. I thanks the Lord each day for having let our paths cross, our hearts meet and blossom into a deep and abiding love."

Yes, Frank we will miss you and the delicious "three way" but THANKS for what you have contributed to my life.

Bro. Dan

3 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Blessing it is to remember........Ev was a dear lady I met while working for a bank. She had a truly beautiful outlook on life...a deep and sincere faith...a gift of writing some very beautiful poetry. God was a very personal God to here and you knew it. Jack was a deacon who loved to go to prisons and do what he could to encourage prisoners to see their worth and to help lift their self esteem. There was a man in our church who came everyday to pray...to draw near to God. His wife told him "You are going die in that church...you are there all the time." Well, he DID die in church...in the midst of his prayers. Mannie was a neighbor when I was very small, early 1930's, ...she was always helping my mother who was not well. Mannie would wash and iron our clothes and repair them if needed...all for the love of the Lord. How much we are blessed when we recall the good persons who have gone on before!

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is important in life.....Reminds me. A relative of Pat's had a cousin who had a very successful farm equipment dealership. When he died...the speaker at the funeral said: "He had a sign in his office and it read: "It's not what you have that counts...it's what you ARE."

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord, when it's time for me to come...I hope that I will leave behind many kind words and deeds...not just an estate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home