Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Michael Flynt

You might have seen the story last night on NBC Nightly News about Michael and Eileen
Flynt. Mike is 59 and played 9 downs for Sul Ross University this weekend. He and his wife moved from Franklin to Texas for him to play football. At the game were his children, a grandchild, and many friends. He has been an inspiration to his football team, becoming the oldest person to play college football.

Michael is a friend of mine. He and his wife were in my Sunday School class 20 odd years ago. I remember when their daughter was born. She had many difficulties and I remember going to Williamson County Hospital and praying for Eileen and their little baby, a baby now 21 and in, or is it out, of college.

Mike had been a coach at Nebraska and Texas A&M before coming to Franklin to begin a newventure. I was never quite sure what he was doing. He was always trying to sell me stock in companies that were going to hit it big. I never bought the stock he offered for Gold Mining in Arizona, or the stock he offered about raising the Titanic. A little off the wall for someone like me.

But, it is exciting seeing him play football. I would be afraid I would break my neck
attempting something like that. Seeing him play, and the joy in his heart, brings joy to me. A man with a "futile dream" sees it come true. What a beautiful example of it Never Being to Late to begin again.

SO LET'S ALL BEGIN AGAIN, and by the way, what ever happened to the TITANIC?

Bro. Dan --Memories

5 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so,to begin again..........Some great servants of God made it only because they never would give up...with every fall there was a getting up again...to start all over having the Saviour's forgiveness...the Father's love...the Spirit's gifts of goodness. The returning one rejoices the heart of God more than the ninety nine who did not wander off.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Titanic.........from the Greek word 'titanikos' meaning: of great size, strength or power....like a Titan. Found on the ocean floor in 1985. Broken into two unequal pieces, it was deemed too costly to bring up. Besides, it was the grave of the 1500 lost.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starting Again.....Imitation of Christ, Book 4, Chapter 7: "If a man doth what he can and is truly penitent, says the Lord, when he comes seeking pardon and grace...as I live, I desire not the death of a sinner but that he be converted and live...all shall be forgiven...I will not remember his sins anymore."

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"..and the joy in his heart brings joy to me..." What a beautiful expression. Certainly, God must be pleased when we say 'the gladness I see in you, makes me glad...The sadness and pain in your life...makes me sad as well...your happiness makes me very happy...' Are we not called to such empathy and sympathy? Lord, let me share in the joy of others and share in their suffering when things are bad for them.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never to give up..................How much we admire the person who follows their dream...never slacks off...never feels hopeless. Praise for the ones who keep their eye on the goal and pursue it with dedication and drive. They have earned the 'crown' at the end of the race!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home