Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Catching the Sheep

Thomas Merton wakes me up sometimes. I often begin with A Year With Thomas Merton. Today he is in the sheep business, dealing with verses that Jesus said, like "My sheep hear my voice." As he describes himself while writing this he confirms he is restless, stubborn, surrounded by events and living a complicated life.

Guess that sums us up to. Complicated. Ears itching from the latest rumors. Animals need to be fed. We have a headache. The dog jumps on the bed at 4 a.m. and wakens me, so I get up and study of all things, "The Art of Worldly Wisdom."

So Merton pretty well describes us, but it leads him in a different direction than us. It develops into prayer. His, I call it, The Shepherd Prayer, stirs something in me. He hits home, a home run. Complications become moments when we turn ourselves over to the master.

THE SHEPHERDS PRAYER BY THOMAS MERTON

"Good Shepherd, You have a wild and crazy sheep in love with thorns and brambles. But please don't get tired of looking for me! I know you won't. For you have found me. All I have to do is stay found."

Question: Has the shepherd found you?
http://amzn.to/qQz6Ng

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home