Monday, January 30, 2012

My Toe Hurts

A Monday Morning Exercise

For those retired, like myself, Monday is the gift day of the week, a day of paraphrasing who and where I am, usually a blank schedule, and a place of quiet.
 
My diabetes numbers are high which bothers me. There is no reason other than a busy weekend. I taught Sunday School and taught a course on journaling at the Church of Latter Day Saints in Nashville. It was an attentive group. They seemed appreciative of what I was doing.

When I got home I had one of my dizzy headaches and slept for a couple of hours. Earlier in the day I had dropped a bottle on my foot and my toe began to throb. I looked and it was black and blue. I walked with a limp. It changed my mood. A defective toe will do that.

I watched Downtown Abbey at 8. It is one of my favorite shows but it left me depressed. Everything was bad; dreams destroyed, deaths of primary characters,  strange maniputations, and faults of characters suddenly emphasized. It caused my foot to hurt more, but reality is like that. There are days we need to forget. Days assembled from darkness not light.

A word of encouragement comes from Isaiah 41, "Be strong! Be an encourager." WORTHY WORDS. Important words. Words rarely spoken.

The sun is out today. The temperature in the sixties. Nice. A day to be thankful, to watch birds and sunlight and dream. Leave the newspaper closed, the hurtful words will be there tomorrow. Drink deeply of the air, feel the sunlight, rest the hurt toe. REJOICE!

2 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, I haven't been by for years, but I'm once again doing a little Merton research and ran across your blog. I hope you are feeling better. I love Downton Abbey, too, but was so sad to see William die.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Hi Dan.I'm from across the pond.
About Downton- a new series is planned so have hope !
Blessings

 

Post a Comment

<< Home