Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Sacred Way

At a Bible Outlet last night I picked up Tony Jones' book The Sacred Way. I am really enjoying it. Some early quotes: (1) God finds us and leaves a mark. (2) the goal of Christian spirituality is to be enlivened by God's Spirit. (3) people want COMMUNION with the Creator. And also a special quote from Marjorie Thompson : "the spiritual life is simply the increasing vitality and sway of God's Spirit in us!"

Several years ago Marjorie Thompson and her husband, John Mogabgab, and I worked closed in helping develop Penuel Ridge, a contemplative retreat center in middle Tennessee. Majorie's spiritual temperament was always one with a quiet and listening spirit. The thing that REALLY impressed me about Majorie is that she worked for Georgia O'Keefe, the great artist, in New Mexico. I bet that was an unusual experience. Time for breakfast. Selah.

4 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COMMUNION..........The human heart has a hole in it...it is 'God shaped.'

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOOK FOR ME.......I am so easy to be found...I will not hide...I will not confuse. Look at anyone in need...help them..LO, SURPRISE! YOU FOUND ME!

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUST IMAGINE......One day when the whole world decided to follow God's Good Spirit...not my will but the will of Him...not my gain but someone else's...not the gain in the stock market but a gain in someones's self esteem...not a pocket full of money but a whole baskets of bread to be given away...not some foolish vanity that I got to have....but bowls of rice for a whole village....not am oil well but a water well where the people desperately need it. OH God, what if ???????? Maybe soon.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE ONLY BOOK......You and your example might be the only book about God that some will ever read. Good example...think of it....many times you are touched by grace that flowed from another's deed. I recall the humility of a priest who was verbally torn apart by the pastor of the church he was visiting...and this in the presence of at least 20 other clergy visitors. He simply said, in the kindest manner, "Father, do I have your permission?" Never will forget that one. The mean ugly was over matched by the meek humble. Yea God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home