Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Way-Tracked

My Poet of Tolstoy park has been side tracked with my medical problems for the past four days, finally resulting in my wife being admitted to the hospital last night. Would appreciate your prayers during this time !!

In my last reading the hero of Tolstoy Park is about to leave Idaho. He is deciding which books to take from his library. He finally finalizes taking 2-3 books. These include Rilke's Poems and two books of Tolstoy, forgot the names but will let you know later, that had been written in Russian. And we were all surprised to determine that he learned to read Russian in its original language so he could understand Tolstoy. By the way he did have 28 full volumes of all of Tolstoy's works which he gave to one of his sons.

It made me deal with the question: IF YOU COULD ONLY TAKE 5 BOOKS OF YOURS SOMEWHERE WHAT WOULD THEY BE? I have been struggling with that question. Four books stand out now: The Intimate Merton, Bible, Jennifer Lash's book about her pilgrimage to Compostelo, and I will add a couple of more later.

WHAT BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE ON YOUR FINAL JOURNEY?

7 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FIVE BOOKS.......Certainly the Bible and the Imitation of Christ....but, the others ???

God's Love

In love, He sees all -
looking down from the heavens;
and missing not one.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAYER SUPPORT Your wife and you in these days ahead....God bless and help. 'We pray with trust...we pray with love...Send Thy blessings from above.'

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Harry said...

First, my prayers are offered on behalf of you and your wife. May she return to wellness and wholeness quickly.

Secondly, what a great question! The obviouus #1 is the Bible (although I have 3 that are different in style and translation ... it would be hard to choose 1)
#2 ... Perhaps The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard.
#3 ... The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer.
#4 ... The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
#5 ... The Joy of Cooking (Hey a man has to eat!)

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A year or two ago this list would have looked very different. A year or two from now, it's likely to look different again. But in answering this question today:

1. The Bible
2. The Rule of St. Benedict
3. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (the version edited by Benedicta Ward)
4. The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis
5. The Only Necessary Thing, by Henri Nouwen

And if I was allowed a bonus 6th pick, it would be the Conferences of John Cassian

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro. Dan, I pray the Father will be with your wife in her need.

You have started a great meme. Here is my list:

1. Life Application Study Bible
2. The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
4. The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning
5. The Sign of Jonas by Thomas Merton

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous 윤형우 said...

Hello I'm korean boy .
I look your blog
I am very normal, But , My future is very specail.

Oh, My name is Yun Hyeongu

Remember!!

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous 윤형우 said...

oh e-mail is gogogogo1029@naver.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home