Friday, October 01, 2004

Monkery and Weddings

A book that has been helpful to me is "A Monk in the World" by Wayne Teasdale. Using his background as a former monk, he lives in Chicago-- and seemingly alone. The world is his monastery. The liturgy of the hours he follows as if he were in a monastery, though it is in the world totally. This is a model for the "monkless monastery" of the future. The book is worth reading and studying.

The Method

As for my method of using the Liturgy of the Hours I use the format by the Genesee Abbey in Genesee, New York. I make a copy, reduce it in size, and put copies in all of my Bibles. At a moments notice I can know what place to read in the psalms. It is very helpful.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I did not mean to give the impression that I get up at 2:15 every morning and follow this procedure. It is a lot less formal for me. On a normal day I will follow the scripture readings for LAUDS and possibly COMPLINE. Other days I might think of the liturgy at 8 am and use TERCE. I am "lucky" if I do 2 prayer periods/readings a day. Wish I could do 7 times but I have a long way to go. Do others of you have recommendations?

Marriage

My daughter, Melinda, is marrying, Mike, in two weeks. Getting excited. Things change in our lives. I feel God is in this. LATER

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, do you follow the daily schedule- 2.15am start? This is great covering the Psalms in a week but doesn't fit a normal working schedule. I would be pushed to get morning and evening prayers and readings. Can you clarify how you work this? (Gary Manders garymanders.org)

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also want to hear how Dan does that 2:15 am hour!! should be an interesting response...
wayneburnsb@webtv.net

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to be that there could be a group of folks that are Baptists or..that could set up a time for prayer and readings. It will not be possible to follow the Monks order and that is the frustration or trying to be "monatic" in a world outside the monastery. The seven times could be cut to four in getting started...The four could be:

6 am Morning 15 minutes...12 10 minutes....5pm 15 minutes and 9 pm 15 minutes...

and if this can work...another time can be added to get to seven in time if seven is the goal...

I would like to find 5-6 folks who would get started on four times a day....we cold develop our readings from the Psalms, etc....

Just a thought...most folks do not want to do anythng but discuss being 'monastic" or contemplate....

Wayne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home